As a cyclist, you must be well hydrated during your rides. This is why using a hydration bladder can be such an advantageous tool.
A good quality hydration bladder will help you stay properly hydrated while cycling without having to stop and take frequent drinks from a bottle. In this roundup review and buyers guide, we will take a look at 7 of the best hydration bladders for cyclists on the market today.
We’ll cover what to look for when choosing one, as well as some popular brands and models that cyclists recommend. After reading this article, you should have all the information you need to choose the best hydration bladder for you!
Don’t have time to read? Here are our top picks:
- CamelBak M.U.L.E. – Best Hydrartion Pack
- CHERAINTI Hydration Bladder – Best Affordable Hydration Bladder
- Kuyou Hydration Pack – Best Affordable Pack
- MIRACOL Hydration Backpack – Great Value and Capacity
- MARCHWAY Tactical Molle – Biggest Bladder Capacity
- Osprey Hydraulics HydraPak – Best Hydration Bladder
- CamelBak Repack LR – Best Hip Hydration Pack
The CamelBak M.U.L.E. is a high-quality hydration backpack that is perfect for mountain biking.
It features a 3-liter Crux reservoir, which is ergonomically designed for easy refilling and has an on/off lever to prevent leaks.
This backpack is perfect for mountain biking as it has plenty of storage space (12 liters) for all your gear and the CamelBak M.U.L.E.’s magnetic tube trap will keep the drink tube in place and out of the way while you’re riding.
The Air Director back panel and ventilated harness promise to keep you cool and comfortable while cycling and the backpack also features a secure phone pocket and adjustable sternum strap for a custom fit.
How is it to use CamelBak M.U.L.E.?
- The CamelBak M.U.L.E is a great product for those who are looking for an easy-to-use and refill hydration backpack.
- The magnetic tube trap is a great feature that allows you to quickly and easily access your water without having to remove the pack.
- The 100 oz capacity is also great for longer rides or hikes. However, the poor ventilation and insufficient waist belt may be an issue for some users.
- Additionally, the bladder is not easy to clean and the hose retention can be fiddly.
Overall, the CamelBak M.U.L.E is a great product for those looking for a durable and reliable hydration bladder backpack with loads of storage options.
CHERAINTI Hydration Bladder
The CHERAINTI Hydration Bladder is a great option for those looking for a quality, affordable hydration bladder.
Made of premium materials, this hydration bladder is taste-free, SGS certified, and 100% food grade. It also passed a pneumatic pressure test and has a double sealing side technique which improves durability.
The large opening makes it easy to clean and fill and the smooth interior promotes health. The tube resists temperature changes in hot and cold weather and has a quick-release feature for easy detachment.
The hydration bladder is compatible with most hydration packs and remains sealed when the tube is removed.
How is it to use CHERAINTI Hydration Bladder?
- It is made of solid construction and comes with a free bandana. There have been a small number of leaks reported with this product. My advice is to test it as soon as it arrives and if you have any issues send it back to profit from the 100% refund or replacement warranty.
- One downside, however, is that filling it up with the 2 liters can be a bit tricky.
- The hose is rather thick, yet it does not insulate heat well, so the water in your hose will sometimes be warm when you take your next drink.
Overall, the CHERAINTI Hydration Bladder is an excellent choice for those looking for a quality, affordable hydration bladder that will keep them hydrated during their rides.
Kuyou Hydration Pack
The Kuyou Hydration Pack is designed for those who enjoy the outdoors. With a 2 liter capacity, this pack works for a wide range of users from casual cycling rides to avid hikers and professional athletes.
The pack is made of durable nylon, resistant to abrasion, wear and tear. It’s designed to fit securely to your body and the reflective design also ensures visibility and safety.
It has wide shoulder straps with holes on both sides for both left-handed and right-handed adventurers making it a versatile option for anyone.
Finally, the hydration pack is thermally isolated and keeps the water cool for up to 4 hours.
How is it to use the Kuyou Hydration Pack?
- The backpack fits comfortably on the back and doesn’t cause rubbing or chafing, the part that goes along the back is rigid though.
- There is very little storage space for anything else, you can expect to be able to hold very basic stuff like your keys, snack bars, sunscreen, and maybe your phone.
The build quality is good, especially for the price tag. I would recommend this product to anyone looking for a good and affordable hydration pack!
MIRACOL Hydration Backpack
If you’re looking for a hydration backpack that will keep your water cool and your belongings safe, the MIRACOL Hydration Backpack is a great option.
It comes with a 2L water bladder, adjustable straps, and multiple storage compartments, making it perfect for any outdoor activity. Plus, the nylon ripstop material is sturdy and waterproof, so you can be confident that your belongings will stay dry no matter what.
One of the best features of the MIRACOL Hydration Backpack is the large opening on the water bladder, which makes it easy to fill and clean. Additionally, the thermal insulation will keep your water cool for up to four hours, making it a great choice for hot summer days.
And if the 15L backpack capacity isn’t enough and you need extra space, there are waist pockets on both sides that are perfect for storing your phone, keys, or energy bars.
Plus, it comes with a 100% money-back guarantee, so you can be confident that you’re making a wise investment.
How is it to use MIRACOL Hydration Backpack?
MIRACOL Hydration Backpack has some great benefits:
- It is lightweight and easy to run and cycle with.
- You can clip it to your back with two belts.
- There is an insulated pouch that will keep your water cold.
- There are also a lot of zippers to store your stuff.
- The bladder is durable.
However, the pockets in the front do not fit phones bigger than an iPhone 6/7/8 and the insulated pouch gets warmed up by body heat and makes the backs sweat.
Another small issue is that if you put cold water in the bladder, the outside fabric at the bottom feels wet like it’s leaking. This is due to the condensation from the bladder, so nothing you can do about that.
Still, people generally like this hydration backpack because it is easy to use and comfortable!
So if you’re looking for a hydration backpack that has it all, the MIRACOL Hydration Backpack is a great option. It’s durable, lightweight, and has plenty of space for all your belongings.
MARCHWAY Tactical Molle
It is made from high-grade materials and features a water-resistant cloth construction.
The main pocket can accommodate a variety of water bladders, while the two external pockets are perfect for holding personal items like T-shirts or toiletries.
The shoulder, chest, and waist straps are adjustable to ensure a comfortable, snug fit. And the breathable mesh pads at the back keep your back cool and make it more comfortable to carry the pack.
One of the features that set this backpack apart is the well-designed Leak Proof 3L Hydration Reservoir. It features a quick release valve so you don’t have to hold onto the long hose to fill up with water.
The reservoir and thermally insulated hose are both made from TPU which is cleaner and more resistant to bending than ordinary PVC material.
The mouthpiece rotates 360 degrees, so you can drink easily while on the go, and there’s even a middle baffle to keep the bladder flat and make it easier to place into the backpack.
Best of all, this backpack has a sleek and stylish appearance that will look great whether you’re out on a hike or just running errands around town.
How is it to use MARCHWAY Tactical Molle?
These are the things that I liked the most about MARCHWAY Tactical Molle Hydration Pack:
- The 3L water bladder is huge, easy to fill and drink from, and durable.
- It’s very comfortable and lightweight.
- You can attach things to it with the loops on it.
- The straps are strong and can hold a lot of weight.
- The tubing is insulated which is helpful if you’re cycling in hot weather.
However, you should wash it before you use it to eliminate the factory taste.
It depends on your needs but it has just enough space to carry basic stuff (cell phone, keys, sunglasses) so it may be a pro or a con for you.
Some people might find the chest strap to be uncomfortable, especially women. The quick release buckles are made of plastic so you should be careful not to crush them or they will break.
So if you’re looking for a high-quality, functional, and stylish hydration pack, the MARCHWAY Tactical Molle Hydration Pack Backpack is a perfect choice.
Osprey Hydraulics HydraPak
The Osprey Hydraulics HydraPak bladder is a top-of-the-line hydration bladder that is perfect for cyclists. It features a wide-mouth top opening that makes it easy to fill and clean and also folds closed to create a leak-proof seal.
The PourShield feature makes filling and pouring a snap, while the welded TPU handle makes it a one-handed operation. The new design reduces weight by 20% to 30%. Dishwasher safe (top rack), the reservoir is also BPA/PVC-free and highly durable.
The Blaster bite valve offers an ergonomic drinking angle and great flow, and the flexible TPU hose resists kinks and allows fast water flow.
The Hydrostatic backerplate provides structure to shove a full reservoir into a fully loaded pack and maintains a flat profile.
The Magnet clip attaches to the reservoir hose and pairs with the included sternum strap magnet for easy water access and hose management. All parts are BPA-free, phthalate-free, lead-free, and certified food safe.
How is it to use Osprey Hydraulics HydraPak?
Osprey delivers beautifully in all of its promises and makes this a great hydration bladder for cyclists.
- It has a detachable hose, which is helpful if you need to refill the reservoir but don’t want to untangle it or carry the whole pack.
- The slide opener is easy to use and the magnetic sternum strap does its job to secure the hose on any pack.
- The mouth opening could be wider, but overall it’s fine. I would recommend getting the cleaning kit, as it’s helpful for keeping the reservoir clean.
- The material is flexible, so it can be compressed if necessary. I’ve used this on multiple trips and it’s held up well.
Hydration bladders are a must-have for any cyclist, and the Osprey Hydraulics HydraPak bladder is the best of the best. It’s easy to use, easy to clean, and very durable. The reservoir is also BPA/PVC-free, making it a safe choice for cyclists. Highly recommended!
CamelBak Repack LR
The CamelBak Repack LR is ideal for hard-charging riders who need more than a bottle but less than a full pack.
It comes with a load-bearing hip belt with cargo pockets, integrated carry pockets, and a 1.5-liter Crux reservoir.
The wide waist belt optimizes fit and keeps essentials close at hand, while the dual reservoir compression straps cinch the reservoir into the small of your back for stability and a tight fit.
The magnetic tube traps help keep your tube secure and accessible when you need it.
How is it to use CamelBak Repack LR?
CamelBak is a trusted brand when it comes to hydration packs, and the Repack LR lives up to the CamelBak name.
- This pack is perfect for mountain biking, as it keeps the heat off of your back and doesn’t bounce around.
- The fabric feels good and seems durable, and the magnetic clip for the bite valve and tube is sturdy and easy to use.
- The storage is also good considering it is a hip pack, with enough space for basic tools, a phone, snacks, and a little bit of first aid stuff.
- It fits snuggly around the waist and does not bounce around, which is great. The mouthpiece also fits securely into the magnetic clip.
- The only downside is that the reservoir is a little difficult to fill up but other than that it’s a great hydration pack!
Overall, It’s well-designed, durable, and has just the right amount of storage for essential items. It’s a great choice for cyclists who need a reliable hydration pack that won’t let them down on the trail.
Buyer’s Guide: How to choose the best hydration bladder for cycling
If you’re a cyclist, then you know the importance of staying hydrated during your rides. A good way to do that is by using a hydration bladder. But with so many on the market, how do you choose the best one for your needs?
In this buyer’s guide, we’ll take into consideration size, features, type of drink tube, and more to help you make the best decision for you.
We’ll also cover how to care for and clean your hydration bladder after each use to ensure its longevity and optimal performance.
So whether you’re just starting out or are looking for an upgrade, read on for all the info you need to choose the best hydration bladder for cycling!
What is a hydration bladder and what are the benefits of using one while cycling?
A hydration bladder is a water reservoir that you can use to drink from while on the go. They’re usually made from waterproof materials like PVC or silicone, and have a bite valve that lets you control the flow of water.
Hydration bladders are popular among cyclists because they allow you to drink hands-free. This is especially helpful if you’re mountain biking or doing another activity where stopping to drink from a water bottle would be impractical.
Another benefit of using a hydration bladder is that they’re typically larger and more practical than water bottles, so you can carry more water with you. This is ideal for long rides or hot days when you know you’ll need to drink more water than usual.
How do you choose the right one for your needs – size, features, type of drink tube, etc.?
The first thing you’ll want to consider is what size hydration bladder you need. They typically come in three sizes:
- Standard: 1.5 liters
- Medium: 2 liters
- Large: 3 liters
If you’re doing short rides or are only planning to be out for a few hours, then a standard or medium size will be sufficient. But if you’re doing a long ride or expect to be out in the heat for an extended period of time, then you’ll want to opt for a large size.
Another thing to consider is what type of drink tube you want. There are two main types:
- Standard: A standard drink tube is made from PVC or TPU and is attached to the bladder with a screw-on connector.
- Insulated: An insulated drink tube has a layer of insulation around it to keep your water cold. They’re usually made from silicone or neoprene and have a quick-disconnect fitting that lets you easily detach the drink tube from the bladder.
If you’re looking for a basic hydration bladder that will get the job done, then a standard drink tube is a good option. But if you want to keep your water cold and have the ability to easily disconnect the drink tube, then an insulated one is the way to go.
You’ll also want to consider the features of the hydration bladder. Some common features include:
- A capacity indicator that lets you know how much water is left in the bladder
- A leak-proof design that prevents water from leaking out
- An easy-to-open and close screw cap or bite valve
How do you care for and clean your hydration bladder after each use to ensure its longevity and optimal performance?
It’s important to properly clean and store your hydration bladder after each use to ensure that it stays in good condition. Here are a few tips:
- When it’s new, fill it with water and vinegar or baking soda and let it rest for 2 hours at least, then rinse with water several times.
- Rinse the bladder with warm water and soap after each use.
- Let the bladder air dry completely before storing it.
- Store the bladder in a cool, dry place.
- Avoid freezing or pouring boiling water into the bladder, as this can damage it.
If you need to clean the drink tube, simply detach it from the bladder and rinse it with warm water and soap. Let it air dry before attaching it back to the bladder.
How can I make my hydration bladder taste better?
If you’re finding that your water tastes a bit off, there are a few things you can do to improve the taste.
First, make sure that you’re properly cleaning the bladder and drink tube after each use.
Second, try adding some citrus slices or mint leaves to the water.
And third, if you’re using an insulated drink tube, make sure that the insulation isn’t coming into contact with the water, as this can cause a strange taste.
Can I put other liquids in my hydration bladder?
Yes, you can put other liquids in your hydration bladder, but it’s important to be aware that some liquids can damage the bladder. For example, avoid putting hot liquids or carbonated beverages in the bladder, as this can cause the bladder to leak or break.
Is it safe to drink from a hydration bladder that’s been lying in the sun?
No, it’s not safe to drink from a hydration bladder that’s been sitting in the sun, as this can cause the water to become contaminated. If you’re out in the heat and need to take a drink, make sure to store the bladder in a cool, shady spot.
I’ve heard that some hydration bladders can harbor bacteria. Is this true?
Yes, it’s possible for bacteria to grow in a hydration bladder, but this is usually only a problem if the bladder isn’t properly cleaned after each use. To prevent bacteria from growing in your bladder, make sure to rinse it with warm water and soap after each use and let it air dry completely before storing it.
The Finish Line
As a cyclist and having used many different hydration bladders and backpacks over the years, I have found that the Osprey Hydraulics HydraPak is my top pick for a hydration bladder because of its wide-mouth opening, PourShield feature, welded TPU handle, reduced weight design, dishwasher safe (top rack) construction, BPA/PVC-free material, and Blaster bite valve.
The CamelBak M.U.L.E. is my top pick for a hydration backpack because it is highly comfortable and lightweight, has plenty of storage space for essentials, comes with an insulated drink tube to help keep water cold on hot rides, and features a quick release buckle system for easy removal.
Both products are well-made and deliver on their promises – I highly recommend them!
I hope you found this roundup review and buyer’s guide helpful in your search for the best hydration bladder.
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below.
Thanks for reading!