Electric bikes have grown in popularity in recent years, as people are looking for more efficient and environmentally-friendly ways to get around. And with good reason – electric bikes are a great way to save money on gas, help the environment, and get some exercise at the same time.
But with so many different electric bikes on the market, it can be hard to know which one is the best for you. That’s why I’ve put together this list of the best fat tire electric bikes and reviewed all the things there are to consider, specs, battery, materials, speed, motor, and so on to help you make the right choice for your needs.
1. DJ Folding Bike 750W 48V 13Ah – Best Folding E-Fat Tire Bike
2. Ecotric fat tire 26 inch 500W 36V 12Ah – Best for Commuting
3. Addmotor MOTAN M-560 750W 48V 12.8Ah – Best Overall
4. DJ Fat bike 750W 48V 13Ah – Best for Trails
It doesn’t matter what type of problem you encounter with your bike, you will find helpful and warm support from the customer service on the other end, don’t hesitate even one second to contact them as they are always willing to help you.
If you need to replace or add some accessories there is no need to do endless research. You just go directly to the seller and they’ll have everything you may need. Their prices are very reasonable, for example, if you need to replace your battery it’ll cost you less than half compared to other similar bikes.
Don’t let the size fool you, it has a powerful motor brushless Bafang of 750W and peak power of 1000W that tops the legal limit of 20 mph, this bike will handle steep and long hills, light off-road, pavement, pot-holes, and load with ease.
Included front and rear racks, suspension, and front and rear lights.
Durable and resistant, this bike passed the UL 2849 test, something not a lot of e-bikes can brag about.
Its stainless aluminum sporty frame is tough and will take the beating of daily life.
Corrosion-resistant paint, reliable and safe Tektro disc brakes, and Shimano 7-gear give extra versatility.
- Great customer service
- Reasonably priced parts directly from the manufacturer
- Powerful motor
- Included accessories and suspension
- Certified high quality and safety standards
- Arrives 80% assembled
Overall this bike offers great quality, costs were cut by not including accessories (racks, fenders, LED lights) and by using a medium-range battery of around 30 miles while using pedal-assist mode and around half in full throttle.
It’s true that there is nothing impressive about this bike but it just kills its competitors under the same budget giving you the max value for your bucks.
The 500W motor is silent and powerful, when using the pedal-assist mode you’ll feel the power of the motor kicking-in in a very smooth manner. Steep and long hills are not its strongest point in full throttle mode but are fairly easy using the PAS mode.
The aluminum alloy frame is very strong and resistant, surely the makers didn’t cut costs here, you can use it and abuse it without feeling that the bike will fall apart under your legs.
If you are not looking for a high-spec bike and you just want reliable and affordable transport for commuting and casual riding then this bike is for you!
- Strongly built
- Easy to assemble (arrives 90% ready)
- Smooth pedal assist
- Great value for the money
- Unimpressive range
- Accessories not included
If you are lucky to snatch one of these you are not going to regret it, stock levels are low and they sell like hot bread. The reason is that for their mid-range price they offer the same you will find in another bike priced double.
The battery ticks all the boxes for high quality, it has a big brand name behind (Panasonic), and charging time is super fast 4 to 5 hours, at least 800 cycles of charging life, and will last 40-55 miles.
A powerful 750W motor gives you all the power you will need to conquer any type of terrain or inclinations without even pedaling in some cases and it can also carry people of around 300 lbs.
The top speed is 23 mph, yes, that’s fast for an e-bike, even at this speed you feel the great balance provided by the geometry, handlebar, and of course the big fat tires that grab tightly to the ground.
If you take this beast to nature you’ll feel that the suspension could be better, but it is still pretty comfortable as the big tires (adjust PSI depending on the ground) and the saddle makes up for them. In the city, you won’t even notice.
The bike comes with a strong rear rack that can carry up to 55 lbs, fenders, and a headlight.
- Battery range and life
- Top speed
- Lightweight in comparison
- HQ components
- Fast charging time
- Included accessories
- Entry-level front suspension
As stated before in the foldable model, DJ bikes have great customer support, pass the highest standards of quality and safety, and have a warranty.
The Mozo suspension features a preload adjustment with a lockout, meaning that you can adjust the range of operation, more preload will raise the bike on the suspension, and lower it with less preload. This is a great plus for ride quality.
Who said beauty can’t be strong? Well, the 6061-grade aluminum frame is just that, trust me you will catch a lot of eyes when riding this beauty, and you can go dirty with it on bumpy, snowy, rainy, muddy, and hilly roads.
The battery is of great quality, it charges in 4 hours and will last for 25 – 37 miles, it is removable and has a battery lock for more safety.
Long story short, it has the same powerful motor as the foldable model but the big difference is in the frame, size, and weight, which allow you to take this bike on more rough terrains.
- Robust suspension and frame
- Eye-catching design
- HQ LG battery
- Five-level pedal assist
- Easy to maintain
- Available only in black
Buyers Guide: How to choose the best fat tire electric bikes
Head to head: A mud fight is about to happen!
Helmets on! Things are about to get messy, there are 2 contenders that would like a fair fight so let’s throw them into the dirt and see what happens.
Normal fat bikes vs Electric fat bikes
Fat tire e-bikes are a great combination of speed and usability as you can ride them everywhere all year round: pavement, sand, mud, snow, and uphills are no rivals for them.
Normal fat bikes are known for being slow as they are heavier and the beefy tires slow them down on pavement or hard surfaces, but this inconvenience disappears when you add the extra power that provides an electric bike.
Fat tire bikes are naturally faster in snow, sand, and gravel. Just imagine all the fun you’ll have with a fat e-bike that can go up to 20 mph.
Ok, that was an easy fight for the clear winner: The e-fat bike. This brings us to the next fight with a crowd-loved contender, let’s call him “Rocky”.
Mountain bikes vs Electric fat bikes
Weight: In general E-Bikes weigh 10-20 pounds more than their similar non-electrical version. In this case, mountain bikes average 29 pounds while our E-Fatty contender averages 50 pounds.
Clearly, they aren’t in the same category which makes this fight more interesting!
Stability and traction: In comparison fat tires higher width of 3.7 to 5.2 inches provide a lot of benefits, they can double or more the size of a mountain bike tire width of 1.6 to 2.5 inches, and can also be ridden at lower pressure from 7 to 25psi giving them a huge advantage in soft grounds and the ability to ride them in hard ones.
Mountain tires go from 22 to 35psi which makes them unable to ride on soft grounds.
The extra rubber meat in the tires gives them better:
- Climbing ability
- Grip to the ground
- Cornering traction
- Shock absorption
Speed: E-Fat Bikes can top 30 mph on flat ground while mountain bikes with excellent rider and equipment average 22 mph.
Comfort: The more upright position takes the pressure off the back, neck, and hands making them more comfortable than a mountain bike with added fun.
Looks like “Rocky” is on the ground and is not waking up soon, at the end, all of the extra fat and electronic muscle really paid off.
What to look for that will make a difference?
Ok, now we know that they are better than their normal and mountain counterparts, let’s take a deeper look so at the end you’ll know exactly what you are buying and don’t get confused with the technical language sellers use.
E-Fat Tire Bike Types
There are 4 main categories that will adapt to your riding needs and budget, so let’s take a look at them and see what they are good for:
- Mountain: As their name states these bikes are the best for off-road riding, they have suspension and resistant full-sized frames.
- Folding: They are perfect for commuting, they are small which gives them a lot of portability and makes them excellent to take on an RV, a boat, or to take them on holidays. If you are short of storage space these are the go-to!
- Daily use: They have a full-sized frame, what makes them different from the mountain type is that they are designed for commuting, daily use, and flat off-road trails, meaning that they don’t have suspension or high spec components which in turn makes them more affordable than mountain or carbon frame types.
- Carbon: Very similar to the mountain type with carbon frame, double suspension, and higher spec components, so they are ideal if you love the tougher extreme trails. Obviously, the extra accessories to cope with these trails come with a higher price tag.
Types: They are 3 types of electric motors:
- Front or Rear hubs: Located in the center of the front or back tire respectively, they put extra weight on their location and change the balance of the bike.
- Mid-drive: they are the best in terms of balance and power, being on the center of the bike brings the gravity center lower, improving the riding experience.
Power: Ranging from 250W to 1000W, the equation here is simple. The more wattage the more power so consider the weight you are going to put into the bike.
For commuting or daily life use, 500W is just fine, but for the more extreme rides or heavyweight, I will recommend the maximum power of 1000W.
Top speed: Sadly the speed you can reach by only using motor power is legally capped at 20 mph. But wait, if you add pedaling you can easily reach 30 mph.
Modes: In general there are 3 different ones:
- E-bike: pure electric power no pedaling needed
- Assisted pedaling: The help you’ll receive from the motor will be the same strength as what you put in the pedals.
- Normal: Just as if you were using a regular bike.
They are the heart of your bike. A poor quality battery will impact your riding experience. Low-quality batteries have shorter cycles of charging life and longer charging time. They dry out more quickly and can have poor weather protection.
I see a lot of people getting confused and stuck when choosing a battery, so what you need to know to choose the best one is:
- Voltage: This measurement is to describe how much power the battery will send to the motor. Here are two examples to better understand it.
- 24V = Good for flat ground
- 36V or higher= Coast and Mountain
- Ampers: This measurement is used to describe the energy storage capacity, so the higher this measure the longest distance you can cover without recharging.
Under the microscope: Advantages and Disadvantages of Fat Tire Electric Bikes
- Senior and beginners friendly.
- Travel longer distances with less effort.
- Faster than normal bikes, especially uphill.
- Great balance.
- Maneuverability of a sports bike.
- Easy to maintain, literally is just a bike with battery and motor.
- Unmatchable versatility. Ride them everywhere, mud, sand, snow, etc.
- Ride them all year round.
- They are heavy and big.
- Higher-end price.
The Finish Line
All of the bikes in this roundup offer great value for your money, with features and specs that rival those of more expensive models. If you’re looking for a reliable and affordable e-bike that can handle a variety of terrain, any one of these four models will fit the bill. So what are you waiting for? Get out there and start riding!
My top pick?
I love to take my bike everywhere with me and if I’m feeling adventurous after work and taking a rough trail back home or during my days off is a must for me.
Also, its balance is great as the battery is mounted in the middle, its lightweight is also a plus as it makes the already good battery and motor perform better, giving, as a result, more riding miles, faster speed, and an overall better riding experience.
Its high-quality components and included accessories offer great value for its price range.